Title: Assistant Field Instructor/Guide
Length of contract: Spring/Summer Seasonal position; April-August 2022.
Reports to: Director of Operations
Onward & Upward is an AEE-accredited, evidence-based experiential-education nonprofit based in Wasilla, Alaska. Our passion is to be the leading provider of health and wellness-focused adventure-based learning programs in Alaska that serves to strengthen youth, families, and communities. Onward & Upward students gain personal and prosocial development skills, including positive self-concept, healthy self-efficacy, and prosocial connections, as well as gaining place-based outdoor appreciation and wilderness skills. Onward & Upward aims to attract the top professional staff interested in teaching the aforementioned character strengths and skills, and in the effective management and safe operation of a unique, high quality experiential education program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Director of Operations (DO) the Field Instructor/Guide (FIG) is primarily responsible for implementing and teaching the organization’s curricula during courses. The FIG will also assist the Lead Field Instructor/Guide in aspects of the organization’s operations, including planning and logistical elements of the courses. The position includes a significant amount of outdoor work, occasional travel, and will conduct education programs with emphasis on risk management and student care. Moreover, the FIG may routinely meet with school administrators, teachers, and other organizational partners for building and nurturing collaborative partnership.
- Provide HIGH QUALITY educational programming the Onward & Upward curriculum via our practice model pedagogy
- Assist in course structure and logistics
- Be involved in and implement the risk assessment and management process (RAMP)
- Being a contributing member of the O&U team by maintaining a professional, positive attitude and image for the organization
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director or Director of Operations.
Qualifications-Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Have a passion for the Onward & Upward mission of establishing a culture of one health in Alaska through evidence-based action.
- Possess a strong understanding of evidence-based prevention models for youth and have solid therapeutic communication and rapport-building skills.
- Be adaptable and flexible with well-developed social and emotional competence.
- Have a core competency of sound judgment and the ability to respond appropriately to varying unforeseen situations and circumstances, and be safety-minded with an understanding of risk assessment and management principles.
- Be a competent and inspirational leader, facilitator, teacher, mentor, role model, and catalyst.
- Have a creative, innovative, fun, and positive attitude.
- Be comfortable in the wilderness and aware of the potential environmental hazards that may
- Have field experience working with disenfranchised, vulnerable youth in an outdoor setting.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills including public speaking and communicating across diverse audiences.
- Be competent using technology and information tracking.
- Be an independent, efficient, organized, and flexible self-starter.
- Have the capacity to build partnerships and collaborative networks in the community.
- Have the ability and willingness to represent and work with Onward & Upward’s varied client groups.
- Be capable of strenuous physical activity and routinely lifting 50 pounds or more.
- Must be able to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time while maintaining a positive and safe attitude for our participants.
- Have experience leading backpacking trips for multiple days in a row in a leadership role.
Core Requirements, Education, and Certifications:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Have experience working with vulnerable youth populations in an outdoor experiential setting.
- Wilderness First Responder & CPR Certification
- AK Driver’s License
- Background clearance including the following are required: FBI, Alaska criminal clearance, driving record, and National Sex Offender Registry clearance
- Degree in outdoor recreation, adventure therapy, education, psychology, social work, counseling, or related discipline.
- Advanced degree in related field
- Teaching certificate
- ACCT Level I or II Challenge Course Facilitator Certification
Please submit your resume with a cover letter and references to Maggie O’Brien via email at email@example.com.
Closing Date for Applications: April 15th, 2022.
Employment Dates: Mid April-August 2022. Position is seasonal, part time with opportunities for full time depending on course load.
Onward & Upward is an at-will employer. Onward & Upward considers all qualified applicants and values diversity in staff . All candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.